Educator Certificate Conversion Assistance


Opening Doors

A-KEEP has partnered with the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) to allow qualified professionals with backgrounds in education to convert their foreign post-secondary certificates to an Alabama teaching certificate. With this partnership, A-KEEP has opened doors for foreign teachers to teach in the U.S.

Additional Resources:

The Process

  1. An applicant whose degree was earned at a college or university in another country that is not a United States (U.S.) State or U.S. Territory and is seeking Alabama certification must obtain an evaluation of his/her credentials from a foreign credential evaluation agency approved by the Alabama State Department of Education.

  2. Pass the required Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core), pass the required Praxis® Subject Assessments (content tests) and pass the required Praxis® Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test, for certification in a teaching field.

  3. Background clearance based on a fingerprint review. Applicants for initial certification, additional certification, and certificate renewal who have not been cleared by both the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation (ASBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) through the Educator Certification Section are required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the ASBI and FBI.


Who can convert their certification?

Individuals with accredited certifications from non-U.S. institutions may convert their certificate to an Alabama teaching certificate. Those who apply for certificate conversion should have a degree in the field of education, including but not limited to foreign language, English, math, science, art, dance, history or social studies.

Will I receive credit for my previous experience?

Yes. If the conversion process is successful, your previous teaching experience will be credited towards your Alabama teaching certificate.

How long does the conversion process take?

Certificate conversion may as little as 3 months or as long as 2 years. The length of the process depends on how quickly applicants complete their forms, exams and background check.

Is A-KEEP’s Education Certificate Conversion Assistance a free service?

No. Complete the contact form below to inquire about fees.

Do I need a visa to teach in Alabama?

Yes. You will need a J-1 visa to teach in Alabama.

Am I guaranteed a teaching job?

No. A-KEEP will assist foreign credential conversion applicants to obtain an Alabama teaching certificate. However, we do not guarantee job placement.

Where can I teach if my conversion is successful?

You will be qualified to teach in any Alabama school. You will be responsible for your own placement. We do not guarantee placement upon successful certificate conversion.

Can I teach in other states?

Yes! Once you have successfully obtained an Alabama teaching certificate, you may research the process for transferring to another state. A-KEEP does not assist in the process of obtaining teaching certificates outside of Alabama.

What is it like to live in Alabama?

Learn more about life in Alabama here.

Are there special considerations?

Yes! Qualified math and science educators who successfully complete the certificate conversion process should look into A-KEEP’s FEEP initiative.

I have more questions about the process, who can I speak to?

We would be glad to speak with you! Complete the contact form below with your questions or concerns and we will be in touch within 1-2 business days.

Contact Us For More Information

Name *